So much to tell...Where to start? Well, for those of you who have been wondering what i've been up to this summer..........
I left the desert, mountains and green chile behind in the Land of Enchantment and began my journey to California at the end of May. With a quick
San Diego was my first destination. For four weeks. I had airbnb'd a cute 5th story flat in the heart of the San Diego pride community, Hillcrest. My apartment was the best. All wood floors, floor-to-ceiling windows, balcony, safe neighborhood, and the best part-the community came with an automatic outfit checker. I knew I looked good if i was told. If i wasn't, i was being judged. Perks of living in the gay community and I loved it. More to come on the bar scene here.
I started off meeting up with my friends who I had known from college and my best friend who I didn't know would only be visiting maybe every other weekend. These people, along with many many other people I met in San Diego- would soon become way more than just people I knew in college or people I met in San Diego that one summer. These people became my family. My support system. The people I would do anything for at a moment's notice.
I also ran into something that may have changed my life. It did make me believe in something, and even more so, believe in myself. It built me up. I am stealing this quote from someone but it's something I think everyone should hear, "Ten Feet Tall Made of Diamonds: its a mantra for all of those facing the struggle. It's that inner voice that is telling you to go for it. That fear that you aren't living up to your fullest potential. 'Fear kills more dreams than failure ever will'. So go in thinking that you're 10 feet tall made of diamonds. Taller than everyone and the pressures around you have formed you into diamonds. You're unbreakable. The influence is silent. Nothing but you and your goal. Discipline. So pick yourself up and go get what you want knowing that YOU have your back." I loved this and couldn't get it out of my head once i read it. I credit none other than my upline and team for this one. I'm pretty sure I also need to credit Cameron O! This helped me in my first week of living in L.A. (in which I will get to later), which is always the hardest week. What this goes along with changed how I look at life and positivity. It put my mind and body in the most uplifting place and i'm so glad i'm still here. If you want to learn more please ask or take a look here.
San Diego is the most beautiful place in the world. The hikes, the food, the friends, places, pools, parties, people and overall mantra of the place is incredible. If there was more of an industry for me there I would move and live there in a heartbeat. Maybe one day when i'm established. Until, then- moving forward with Los Angeles.
My first day driving up to Los Angeles was also my most hungover day since living in California. Let's rewind to the night before. I'll basically sum it up as the best and worst night in San Diego. A bottle of Jameson, on top of a bar singing at the top of my lungs to Livin on a Prayer and Don't Stop Believing. Ending with a slight drunken fight with a friend and 2 hours of sleep, barely surviving enough to make it from Downtown to Pacific Beach back to Hillcrest with enough time to barely be alive enough to pack up all my boxes and move them down five stories and a few streets over by myself and make the 4 hour drive for move-in day to our Westwood UCLA apartment. I almost didn't make it. But I somehow managed to get it all done and pull it together. As always.
Dream Careers is it's own world and such a special program. It was worth every penny to me and made living in L.A. easier than it would have been on my own. It opened so many doors for me and was one of the best things I think that could have ever happened to my life and career. Ask me if you have any questions or are interested in this program.
My roommates were all my best friends. One, my absolute best from New Mexico and the other three from across the pond. I couldn't have asked to randomly be placed with any better people. They've become my best friends and I honestly am going to miss their british voices in the morning making plans to go to Barry's Boot camp, consulting about boys, laughing about the night before. Asking me how to make coffee. Going on the best adventures, the worst and the craziest. I will also miss my crazy best friend who always took care of me and loved me no matter what.
Los Angeles is unlike any other place to live in and to figure out. It's a lifestyle and it's not for everyone, i've quickly figured out. You have to solve the puzzle and keep solving and even when you think you've found the last piece you quickly realize there's still a few more missing and always will be. But, once you've got the hang of it and love the city, the city will love you back.
I will miss my amazing kale salads, extremely hot wasabi seaweed snacks, Barry's Boot camp, Matcha green tea frappes. FRO-YO. Equinox, Barre classes, Urth, the movie premieres in westwood, the Newsroom, Kitson, Robertson for shopping, Rodeo for window shopping, working on larchmont, lemonade for lunch every single day. Discovering astro. Santa Monica. Huntington beaches. My internship, working with celebrity stylists and celebrities, seeing them in our client's gowns on the red carpet or on tv/movies/magazines. Getting through to production companies or stylists and making deals with them and our clients. The messiness that is the Boiling Crab, the madness that is Barton G's. My spot: 1oak. My second go-to: Bootsys. Laurel's Hardware. DBA. My bottom bunk. Going out on my balcony every morning and seeing the city from westwood. How to say Wilshire the right way. Vintage shopping. Dorothy-isms. Driving through Beverly Hills on my way to work everyday. Diddy Riese. MILK. Being able to walk to in and out from my house. And fat sals. Being so drunkenly amazed at what's in my sandwich every time I eat at Fat Sals. Getting dolled up and shocked every time I manage to get into events I should be at and couldn't dream of being at like Robin Thicke's Cd release, the official ESPYS after party, The Teen Choice Awards, parties thrown by ROC NATION, getting to celebrities tables and the complete ease of it being a girl, the amazingness that IS Uber and Lyft. The fact that i'm 2 hours from san diego, 5 from arizona, 4 from las vegas and 4 from san francisco. My best friend in the world being here, rooming with my best friend and getting to spend so much time together before she moved to SD, networking, surfing, the sushi, perfecting my british accent, the weekend get-aways. Friends I already knew out here, friends i've only just met out here and the L.A. family I've created and grown to love.
I'm very excited to start this next chapter in my life. I found palace to live, Miracle Mile. I found a career that i'm so excited and proud to start on. I found the place that I belong and excel in. I found my passion and calling. I found friends in the city I want to call home. And If I found all of that in a matter of months. If i've achieved all of this up to this point with spending a mere few weeks in this city- then imagine what I can achieve living here for the long run. I hear this city can raise you up or spit you out. But ready or not cause here I come.
So here I am. Dead near broke and living fabulously in LA for the next few days. Thanking God I have a weekend in San Deigo and a ten hour drive to get my shit together before the Land of Enchantment dries up my tears and gears up my drive as I get ready to move back to my new home, California.

No comments:
Post a Comment